Mandrake install freezes before install program loads

bfarnell at gte.net bfarnell at gte.net
Wed May 30 04:09:23 PDT 2001

Warren Togami wrote:

> Redhat 7.1 has the same problem for you folks?
>
> ---
My problem was with the last version of Mandrake.  No problem with RH
7.0. but I haven't tried 7.1 yet.  Mine hung when it was detecting IDE
devices.  The other guy who reported a problem to Mandrake said the same
thing.  It's a bug in the install program when it encounters a
particular piece of hardware, if I had to make a guess.  I did manage to
use the 'live update' feauture to use the same CDs to upgrade, but it
took more than 8 hours (I went to sleep so I don't know when it
finished) and it ran so slowly afterwards that I had to re-install the
old version.  That doesn't mean there was a problem with the CDs though,
the live update feature was pretty experimental at the time according to
Mandrake.  I can't remember if I did the checksums or not, I think I
did.

Brian