Eject CDROM question

Ben Beeson beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Tue May 22 02:43:20 PDT 2001

Aloha all,

	For some reason, my system will not eject a cdrom.  It worked fine
up until today, and I can't figure it out.  Perhaps someone here can help.

Here is my /etc/fstab file:

$ cat /etc/fstab
/dev/sda2               /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
/dev/sda1               /boot                   ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/sdb2               /home                   ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 user,exec,dev,suid,ro,noauto 0 0
/dev/sdb1               /usr                    ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,user     0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
/dev/sdb3               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/sda3               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

Here is what the console sez when I try to eject a disk.

$ eject -v -r cdrom
eject: device name is `cdrom'
eject: expanded name is `/mnt/cdrom'
eject: `/mnt/cdrom' is not mounted
eject: `/dev/cdrom' can be mounted at `/mnt/cdrom'
eject: `/dev/cdrom' is not a multipartition device
eject: unable to open `/dev/cdrom'

If you try this as root, the console sez...

# eject -v -r cdrom
eject: device name is `cdrom'
eject: expanded name is `/dev/cdrom'
eject: `/dev/cdrom' is a link to `/dev/hda'
eject: `/dev/hda' is not mounted
eject: `/dev/hda' is not a mount point
eject: `/dev/hda' is a multipartition device
eject: trying to eject `/dev/hda' using CD-ROM eject command
eject: CD-ROM eject command failed
eject: unable to eject, last error: Device or resource busy
#

And I know someone is going to ask this one... I am not in any directory
related to the cdrom when I run these commands.  The kde icon for eject returns
an error message that sez:

	"Could not unmount
		Error log:

		eject: unable to find or open device for '/dev/cdrom'
		The following processes have open files:

			CANCEL"

File permissions for /dev/cdrom are:

[ben at VALinux ben]$ ls -la /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 May  5 20:49 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hda
[ben at VALinux ben]$

and for /dev/hda I have:
[ben at VALinux ben]$ ls -la /dev/hda
brw-------    1 root     root       3,   0 May  5  1998 /dev/hda
[ben at VALinux ben]$

I have also tried using:
[root at VALinux /root]# ls -la /dev/hda
brw-------    1 root     disk       3,   0 May  5  1998 /dev/hda
[root at VALinux /root]#

I have tried changing the listing in /etc/fstab for the cdrom to:
/dev/hda              /mnt/cdrom             iso9660
		user,exec,dev,suid,ro,noauto 0 0
and I have tried:
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660
		users,exec,dev,suid,ro,noauto 0 0

The button on the cdrom drive doesn't work either unless you use the paperclip
option.    Any ideas????

Thanks in advance,

Ben