wireless networking at hotels

jay jay at musubi.org
Mon May 21 04:41:54 PDT 2001

anyone see this?

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2001/May/21/bz/bz01a.html

it's an article about the halekulani and "major hotels in hawaii"
offering wireless ethernet.

does anyone know what kind of security precautions they've been
taking?  have they done any security audits? or do they make you
sign a disclaimer?  i'd have though the potential liability with all
the business travelers they have would've been enough to scare them
away until a more secure protocol came out.  imagine backdooring
one of the ADB delegate's laptops.

i have a friend that has been uh, "peeking" at wireless networks
around the downtown area up here.  from what i've picked up from
him, if your network security isn't set up correctly (and in some
cases, even if it is) and your attacker has the right tools...

that's a great incentive to buy a laptop.  anyway, just some thoughts
i had while lying in bed.

=jay

------
"I did nothing, absolutely nothing.  And
 it was everything I thought it could be."