Snort question

Ben Beeson beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Tue May 15 00:10:19 PDT 2001

Jay,

	Interesting read....  This sounds like a pretty good tool.  This leads
me to ask a few other questions.

		1.  How difficult is it to get snort to coexist with other
logging apps? By this I mean, I already run a firewall and a port monitoring
program.  The port monitoring program may not be as good as snort at
identifying the kind of attack, but it does catch the common ones and then add
a firewall rule to block the offending source IP address when I get scanned.
Would this cause a problem with snort as far as you can tell?

		2.  Can you use snort to drive your firewall automatically?

		3.  Does snort automatically produce log analysis, or do you
need another tool to do this with?  I'm not very good at log analysis other
than very obvious things such as: "ATTACK ALERT"  or "DENY" etc.  Even after
using linux on the net for upwards of 3 years now,  I tend to trust my firewall
a little more than I should because I do not know all the intricate details of
TCP/IP packets and how they are doctored during attacks.  I'm still learning,
but I feel blissfully ignorant sometimes...

I apologize if these questions are a little detailed, but I am seriously
considering installing it, and I thought a little learning up front may help me
get better mileage.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Ben