DSL/Cable modem bonding

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sat May 12 22:14:03 PDT 2001

I have never read about Beowulf Ethernet Channel Bonding, but I'm assuming
that it wouldn't work because ADSL and cable routes only TCP/IP, not the
underlying low level ethernet packets.  Any theoretical bonding system would
need to be supported by your provider too.  Bonding 2 cable modems would be
of little use, because they would be using the same shared bandwidth.

Brian Chee once told me that load balancing and failover would be easy with
two DSL links if they are from the same provider, but things get messy with
BGP if you want to do the same with two or more providers.  Both of your
internet providers would have to agree to peer, and both providers would
need an expert in BGP in order to make it work correctly.  According to
Brian, there are very few of these experts.