[luau]Hardware Recommendations for LTSP

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed May 9 22:32:53 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dusty" <dusty at sandust.com>
To: "Linux & Unix Advocates & Users" <luau at list.luau.hi.net>
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2001 5:54 PM
Subject: [luau] Re: [luau]Hardware Recommendations for LTSP

> If you get a lab set up and want to test with a cheap switch I could
unplug my 16 port SMC 10/100 switch and bring it to your labto do some
testing for a few hours.  I can't leave it, because it gets all the systems
in my house connected.  If your interested I could also bring three PPro
systems with me to temporialy turn into clients for testing.  If the switch
is not here they serve no purpose.

About the 16 port SMC - It may be useful, but it may not be indicative of
the performance on a full lab of 20-30 thin clients.  I may just end up
buying the Kingston 32 port switches that Deven suggested.  (Hey Deven, can
we borrow one of those one day for a test?)  About the PPro machines, that's
ok but thanks anyway.  I just learned today that we will soon receive 100
Pentium 100Mhz machines.  This should be perfect for our five pilot schools
(one school is testing modified ThinkNIC boxes http://www.thinknic.com ).

What we do need most is experienced Linux people with some spare time.
Linux wont grow and become accepted in the mainstream without our help.
Help the local schools, while furthering the cause of Linux.

> Later,
> Dusty
>
> RAM drive would be awsome!!!!!!!

It would, but crap... these prices make fiber channel look cheap!
http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/results.asp?key=Platypus&page=1

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com