DSL modem

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed May 9 18:34:27 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jimen Ching" <jching at flex.com>
To: "Linux & Unix Advocates & Users" <luau at list.luau.hi.net>
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2001 2:59 PM
Subject: [luau] Re: DSL modem

> On Tue, 8 May 2001, Warren Togami wrote:
> >line. Obviousdly this ain't gonna happen. The DSLAM shelf controller will
> >DROP PACKETS somewhat randomly from everyone's feed. When packets get
>
> Curious, doesn't the A in DSLAM mean ATM?  Also, doesn't the M in DSLAM
> mean multiplexor?  Can multiplexors drop packets?

I have no clue.  I was just quoting Del Wong.

> Also, last I checked, the bandwidth in the DSL package is guaranteed
> bandwidth between you and your CO.  If your switch is dropping packets,
> then that is false advertisement.  Are these ISP's allowed to do that?

I once remember either Del Wong or Bill Wiecking at MHPCC say that DSL is
comparable to T-1, except you get a much lower Committed Information Rate
(CIR) which I think is the actual "guaranteed" rate.  If I remember
correctly you have a CIR of 64kbit/sec with all lines except for Platinum
Plus, which is 128kbit/sec.  DSL speed is also heavily influenced by
distance and line quality.