kernel compiling question

Jeffrey Wong jmwong at math.ed.hawaii.edu
Sat Mar 31 17:52:48 PST 2001

When you say that you installed a source rpm, I'm assuming that you
installed an rpm like kernel-source-<blah blah>.rpm. IIRC Redhat usually
splits the kernel-source into 2 different rpm's:  kernel-source-<blah
blah>.rpm and kernel-headers-<blah blah>.rpm. Make sure you have both of
them.  The reasoning behind the split into 2 packages is that the kernel
headers package contains header files which can be used by other programs
and by spliting it of into its own package you can compile those programs
without having the full kernel source.  Usually, when I have to upgrade a
kernel, I just grab a tar ball of the latest one.  This I'm sure to grab
everything I need for the kernel to build right.  However, several distros
include customized kernel patches in their rpm builds which you won't have
if you do this.  Mandrake in particular tends to do this, but I don't
remember hearing anything about any customized patches used by Redhat.

In addition, you should run 'make clean' between 'make dep' and 'make
bzImage'.  And if you like me and prefer to walk off and let everything
compile on its own this long command comes in handy (all on one line):

make dep && make clean && make bzImage && make modules && make
modules_install

This will have each step of kernel making follow each other until the
first one fails without actually installing the new kernel.

Jeff Wong