Home Network Problem

Ben Beeson beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Mar 30 11:42:23 PST 2001

Cyberclops,

	Your returned information is for the grep command you typed to find out
if you have a process called 'bind' running.   The 'ps' command you typed will
find all entries that contain the word 'bind' including the  'grep bind'
command.    To find out if the bind services are running, you need to search
for the executable.  'named' is one of them, and 'nscd'  is the other one (for
a caching only name server.)   You need to use 'ps ax | grep named' .  This
should find any running 'named' you have running.   You can also use the
equivalent form of the serarch 'ps ax | grep [n]amed '  (That's a bracket
around the 'n'.)  What this does through regular expressions is cause the shell
to match those that have the list of characters in the brackets followed by
'amed'.  Notice that this does not match the process entry that is 'grep named'
because it does not match the 'grep' part.

Hope this helps,

Ben