Windows Terminal Server in Public Education <cringe>

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Mar 27 13:27:03 PST 2001

> I would love to help. I am currently getting all my old 486's
> ready to be the terminals and trying to find a box good enough to
> be the server.

Honestly, I don't think 486s would be ideal for this situation.  Such
a setup requires lots of network bandwidth and most 486s are limited
to the ISA bus.  Even 10baseT ISA nics can't go 10baseT. They are just
10baseT compatible.  In addition, things will probably still seem
sluggish because of the speed of the video card.  Even VL cards can't
really match up to the junkiest PCI counterparts.  What this all adds
up to is slow network + slow video = unsuitable for running graphical
environments remotely.

My opinion--could be wrong...Please don't flame.

--Ray Strode