Home Network Problem

Ben Beeson beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Mar 25 11:36:33 PST 2001

Ray,

	See my comments below....

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, you wrote:
> > I finally gave up and did the unthinkable...  I reinstalled.
> > When I did that, I found two problems...  One was easy,
> > I needed to run named.....
> I'm not completely sure of your setup, but do you really
> need bind running? Is this box just going to be a masq
> gateway? If so then maybe you should consider just using
> your ISPs DNS.  One less hole for exploits to get through.

	Worth considering -- I still haven't been able to get masquerading to
work correctly.   So far, I can ping an IP address, but not a name....  So
Address Translations are working, but something is not working with name
lookups...  I can't find it yet.

> > I had rebuilt a few kernels and in the process I forgot to
> > change the 'EXTERNALNAME' variable in the top level
> > Makefile.
> EXTERNALNAME?  This is a linux kernel your talking about
> right?  I'm not really sure about that.  I'm kinda busy right now,
> so I can't check for sure, but I don't think that's in the Makefile.
> Maybe EXTRAVERSION?  Otherwise I dunno.

	Yep, it's EXTRAVERSION, my bad on that typo.....

> > As you can guess, pretty soon all sorts of things
> > weren't working right....
> Even if you don't change the name, it should just overwrite in
> previous kernel installs, so I'm not really sure what sort of things
> wouldn't work?

	Well, I also kept a few old kernels lying around.  Eventually the
system maps pointed to the incorrect stuff because I had included different
options in some of the builds etc. so only a few of them would work error free.

> > The good news is that I learned that I shouldn't do that. ;-).
> Do what?

	Forget to change EXTRAVERSION for each kernel build...

> Sorry for being so inquisitive, but I haven't really been following the
> thread very carefully.  Have you gotten everything working that you
> needed to?  If so, just disregard this whole email.

	Not yet, I still can't get masquerading to work correctly....