Home Network Problem

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Mar 24 18:38:25 PST 2001

> Actually, its part of grep.  Grep uses regexp style patterns
> which is where the [] comes from.
Yes your right.  My bad; I wasn't thinking.  Actually though,
the shell will evaluate it first before sending it on to grep.
What this means is some shells will fail if there is no
file named 'named' in the current directory. Bash, however, is
smart in that respect.  If it doesn't find any results from the
pattern matching it will send the string literally to grep.
The way to get around this problem in most shells is by enclosing
'[n]amed' in single quotes.

> And one last bit of trivia for today: The grep commands gets it
> name from what it does.  It finds Global Regular Expression
> Patterns.  And regexp gets it name from REGular EXPression.
I heard that a while ago, but forgot.  Thanks :-)

--Ray