Seminar: Linux Installation and Basics March 27

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Mar 23 01:01:59 PST 2001

Linux Installation and Basics
Date: Tuesday, March 27th
Time: 5:00pm - 8:00pm

Space: ~ 10 seats left.  Sorry if we can't accomodate you this time.
Food: We'll have pizza and soda.  Please help to reimburse cost.
Location: Mid-Pacific Institute, Chew Technology Lab
Next door to the University.  Drive up University Ave. and turn right into
Kaala St.
http://www.midpac.edu/cmap.gif - marked "Technology Lab / 2000"

Please RSVP to warren at togami.com with subject "LINUX SEMINAR 2.

This seminar will give a basic overview of the capabilities of the Linux OS
and software.  You will learn how to install and use Linux on a typical
Windows machine in a dual boot configuration, and some basics in
administration, and usage of the Linux CLI, X, Gnome and KDE desktops.

I will have some Linux Mandrake 7.2 CD's available that day.

Rough list of topics to be covered:

[Significance and Capabilities of Linux]
Brief history of Linux
Linux supported platforms
Kick butt Linux software

[x86 Boot]
Partitioning
Master Boot Record
Active Partition
Type 83 - Linux
Type 82 - Swap
FAT32 & NTFS
Dual Booting

[Linux Mandrake Install]
Installation Types
Choosing Partition Scheme
Partition mount points (including Windows partitions)
Resize FAT32
Package Selection
X Config
LILO Dual Boot Config

[Boot]
LILO Menu Commands
- Operating Systems
- Linux Kernel Options
- "single" user mode
Runtime Levels
Interactive Boot

[Security and Updates]
Disable all services and upgrade packages so you don't get hacked by lame
31337 script kiddies.
Install Ximian Gnome because it is damn cool.
Upgrade KDE 2.0 for another cool environment choice.

[Software Installation]
Netscape 6/Mozilla - Web browser with better Java support than Windows or
MacOS (<= 9.x)
StarOffice/OpenOffice - Free and powerful Office productivity suite

[Interface]
Command Line
Gnome
KDE