missing /bin directory

Erich S. sharky at websharx.com
Wed Mar 7 23:25:37 PST 2001

Hiya!

Got a rather strange problem and think my system may have been compromised
*sigh*. All of a sudden my /bin directory is no longer available. Looks
like it happened about 45 minutes ago when I got back on my workstation at
home. TELNET service was turned off. I use only SSH, but ftp, web, mail,
and DNS services were running, last I checked.

I had an inactive SSH session on from last night (fell asleep) so I'm
still running a shell, but no new sessions can be started and I cannot su
to root or use any commands that'd normally be in the /bin directory.

This is a first, and I'm not a linux guru by any means.

What would be the best way about trying to revive the /bin directory and
trying to assess the damage? I believe I have a rescue disk. This is
on a RH6.0 box that's been running pretty stable for awhile now. base
system directories still seem to be there, I just can't execute any
commands on them.

FTP still appears to be running on the box so I can move files there, but
without a shell I can't su to root or take permissions on stuff :(

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Thanks,
	Erich