Ecrix Tape Backup Problems

V. Histyle v.histyle at gte.net
Fri Jun 29 18:37:19 PDT 2001

Dear Members of the List,

I am installing an external LVD Ecrix tape backup drive on a Linux
server. I cannot get the system to boot with the tape drive attached
and the terminator LED does not light up. I have been talking to
Ecrix technical support for the past two weeks. I purchased the
drive, terminator, and cable as a bundle. Technical support has
sent me a replacement cable and terminator but I still get the same
symptoms. The SCSI Bios loads and the SCSI devices are
recognized but the Linux box will not boot with the Ecrix backup
drive attached.

1) The SCSI controller is an Adaptec SCSI Card 29160: the Ecrix
is attached to the external 68-pin Ultra160 SCSI LVD. Besides the
Ecrix drive, I am using only the card and the 5-position 68-pin LVD
internal cable with the terminator in this server.

2) The card is set to default settings. SCSI card is set to SCSI ID 7
and set to terminate automatically.

3) There are two Seagate Cheetah 18XL SCSI drives (SCSI 0 and
SCSI 1). As these drives are LVD capable, they are attached via
 the 5 position 68-pin Ultra160 LVD cable with external terminator to
the internal LVD connector on the 29160 controller.

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.

Elliott Oshiro
Cathedral School