Off Topic Win 98 question.

al plant webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Sun Jun 24 18:27:45 PDT 2001

Warren Togami wrote:

> Are you saying Win98 sucks because you can't get an AGP card working?
>
> What "win98 file"?  You didn't answer my question earlier as to what card
> this is, and if you went to the manufacturer's website to look for drivers
> specific to this card.  I guarantee you any card made for PC hardware will
> work on Win98.  It would be financial suicide for any hardware company to
> not publish such drivers.
>
> There are plenty of other reasons why Win9x sucks, but AGP card
> compatibility is not one of them.  It was only recently that most vendors
> started supporting Linux, and FreeBSD severely lacks behind in drivers.  If
> it is any consolation, video drivers are usually the #1 reason for Windows
> crashes, while Linux and FreeBSD drivers tend to be much more stable.
>

> > That is the problem I think.
> >
> > I tried to run the win98 file on the disk that came with the
> > agp but it wouldn't go. I use agp cards on Free BSD Unix
> > boxes and they work fine.
##################################

Hi Warren,

Nobody said anything sucks!

I have the driver for the Number Nine AGP card for win98. I
have never installed an AGP card on win98.

I have 3 of these cards in service on 2 Free BSD and a
Linux  box now. Free  BSD and Mandrake 7.1  have their own
stable drivers for them.

The problem is that I can't get the win98 driver which is on
the CD Rom I have for the AGP card to  load onto the win98
box that I was trying to install the card in. For some
reason the win98 sees the file as an *.inf, but won't
install it onto the system.

Do you have any idea what could be wrong. I rarely work with
win98 it's my wifes machine, so I was just following the
menus that pop up to load the driver, but it wouldn't load
it. Maybe I need to place the driver file in the win-98 os
cab file area where it lives on this box. The entire image
of the cd is on the box in a directory so we don't have to
go hunting for the disk every time she wants to install
something new on the box.

Any suggestions appreciated.

 Aloha! Al Plant -Webmaster http://hawaiidakine.com
Providing FAST DSL Service for $28.80/mo.  Member Small
Business Hawaii.
Running Caldera Linux 2.4 & Free BSD 4.0 UNIX
Support Open Source in Business and Computing.