DHCP & Cable modem

Ho'ala Greevy hoala at secretbonus.com
Tue Jun 19 01:27:12 PDT 2001

ahh you got me on that one, i use dsl.

recently a couple of friends in santa clara signed up for @home cable
modem service and eventually figured out they needed to specify a
dhcpclientid to pick up an IP under linux.

if the previous example didn't work after a pump or two, i guess it must
be something else.

alternatively, you can try your hand with bastille-linux, a kickass
hardening utility for red hat and mandrake.  it'll pick up dhcp requests
on public interfaces just fine.  it's even got a gui to it.

www.bastille-linux.org

hope that helps,
Ho'ala