DHCP & Cable modem

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Jun 18 23:30:42 PDT 2001

Sorta.  DHCP itself always worked, but it required a login client to run
after DHCP for login authentication before the gateway would do any routing.
They had serious problems with not being able to scale the login server load
with their growing number of clients, and the server went down fairly often.
At some point they decided to simply do away with it and they revamped their
authentication scheme, I'm guessing to be enforced by the cable modem
itself.