Here is the video editing system I am considering....

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Jul 26 13:33:14 PDT 2001

The Promise IDE RAID controllers have very poor support under Linux.  I hope
you don't plan on dual booting that machine, because you may be very
disappointed.  Performance on Promise IDE RAID is also very suboptimal.
Promise engineers have acknowledged that Linux software RAID is more
optimized than their hardware.  If you are going IDE RAID I highly recommend
3Ware Escalade controllers.  Nothing comes near their controllers, and the
price for the controller is well worth it, plus you will be able to dual
boot and perhaps try stuff like Blender on Linux.

Aren't there 100GB IDE hard drives out there?

The Tyan Thunder K7 motherboard has onboard 64-bit AMI MegaRAID SCSI.  Have
you considered using this?  (Though IDE RAID would be much cheaper for
higher capacity storage.)

May I recommend RAID 1 + 0 rather than RAID 5 for greater performance?

Is there a proper 460 watt PSU in that case?  Each Athlon processor can suck
about 150 watts, so you need ample room for the rest of the system.  The
Tyan Thunder K7 motherboard does NOT work with standard ATX power supplies.