Video Editing

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Jul 25 20:42:32 PDT 2001

The G4 is very powerful for graphics and video editing, but have you seen
benchmarks of Athlon's running Adobe Photoshop?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/cpu/photoshop-platform/
This article compares the following three types of platforms:
Pentium 4 1.4 and 1.7GHz
Pentium 3 1GHz
Athlon Thunderbird 1.33 and 1.4GHz

I don't know if you followed the news surrounding the Pentium 4 rollout, but
that platform has a very weak FPU when compared to other systems.  In many
of the these benchmarks (and many others), the Pentium 4 is beat by much
lower clocked Athlons and sometimes even the 1GHz Pentium 3.  The RDRAM of
Pentium 4 systems is also higher latency than SDRAM and DDR SDRAM,
especially when you have larger amounts of RAM necessary for graphics
operations.

These particular Adobe Photoshop benchmarks show the 1.4GHz Athlon beating
the 1.4GHz Pentium 4 by between 30% to 200%+ in most benchmarks.  This is
only the 1.4GHz Athlon Thunderbird.  Other benchmarks have shown the new
Athlon Palomino (Athlon 4) processor being about 20% faster than the
Thunderbird at the same clock speed.  Those dual Athlon Palomino systems
should really fly with Photoshop's SMP support.

Now I have never seen any benchmarks of dual G4 vs dual Athlon, but Steve
Jobs showed some Photoshop benchmarks on their new dual G4 system at the
recent Mac Expo.  If I understood what they tested, those results should be
comparable to Athlon performance.  I suspect that G4 still may be slightly
faster than the fastest Athlon, but the price for such a dual G4 would be
nearly $1,000 more than the dual Athlon system.

Aren't we supposed to be boycotting Adobe right now? =)