Fwd: Linux Kernel-Level Trojan - Kernel Intrusion System (KIS)

beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Jul 23 23:11:50 PDT 2001

To all,

	I found this today on the security focus mailing list and thought I'd
pass it along. It appears that someone has too much time on their
hands...

VR,

Ben

On 7/22/01, 9:53:32 AM, Timothy Lawless <lawless at netdoor.com> wrote
regarding Linux Kernel-Level Trojan - Kernel Intrusion System (KIS):

> [...]

> it were to replace /bin/sh or another binary that runs often, can cause
> the system to hang, generate "Out of Memory" messages or become unstable.

> During loading, the KIS kernel module performs several tasks:

>    -- Conceals the Modules Presence by Removing the Module
>       from the modules_list structure.

>    -- Replaces key system calls.

>    -- Replaces portions of the vfs structures for the net/tcp,
>       net/udp, and net/raw files in the procfs.

>    -- Spawns a kernel_thread to process incoming commands from
>       the network.

>    -- Replaces the ip_packet_type structure with a new
>       structure to allow KIS to monitor all ip based
>       network traffic and add observed commands to queue.

> Commands are sent to the KIS trojaned system from a KIS client console.
> The commands are sent via directed IP packets with a specific length to
> match a modulus and remainder defined in the KIS module upon compile.

> If the packet matches the length requirements and decrypts into a valid
> command packet, then the command is added to a queue for processing.

> The queue manager takes a queued command off of the queue and performs
the
> directed command.

>    Valid commands include:

>     -- Execution of A Process
>     -- Hiding a running process
>     -- Revealing a hidden process
>     -- Hiding a file
>     -- Revealing a file
>     -- Hiding a connection
>     -- Revealing a connection
>     -- Ping
>     -- Shutdown and Removal of the Trojan

> The queue manager is always running, monitoring the incoming queue of
> commands. As a result, the load on a victim system will never fall below
> load of 0.80.

> Additionally, as a result of the replaced systemcalls and the
requirements
> to manage hidden files and processes, filesystem operations such as
> listing or even compiling a kernel consume up to 30% more system time
then
> the victim system would consume in a non-trojaned state.

> 4. Risk

> The KIS system permits a remote execution of processes on a victim
system.
> Combined with its ability to conceal such executions, files, and network
> activity from normal processes, the KIS system provides a prime platform
> from which attacks against the integrity and availability of other
> compromised systems may be launched.

> Despite the need to compile a KIS trojan for each kernel, a pre-compiled
> KIS trojan could be packaged and distributed to victim hosts that are
> running stock kernels.

> If such a pre-compiled binaries were to be included into a RPM or DEB
> package, a KIS trojan could be introduced to victim systems by
> administrators installing a new or updated package.

> 5. Detection

> The KIS system can be detected on initial load by the StMichael 0.05
Linux
> Kernel Module. The StMichael Linux kernel module is a integrity monitor
> for the 2.2 and 2.4 Linux kernels.

> On systems not running StMichael, or that are suspected of being infected
> by the KIS trojan, the following observations can be made to determine if
> the system is actually infected:

> During normal operations (ie, runlevel 3 or 5)

>    -- "ps -auwx | grep init" will reveal two "init" processes.

>    -- The system load will be high, not falling below 0.8 even
>       when all observable processes are idle or sleeping.

>    -- Repeated runs of "init", such as switching between runlevels
>       or rebooting will cause the system to hang, generate error
>       messages or crash.

>    -- Portscans on the system reveal open and listening ports that
>       are not reflected in a netstat.

> Alternatively, if the system can be safely brought down and booted off of
> a clean or rescue media, search the filesystem for a file called "ht"
> with mode 000. This is the hidden file table used by KIS to list hidden
files.