Flash in Konquerer web browser

Jeff Mings jeffm at lava.net
Mon Jul 9 13:23:10 PDT 2001

Hello Rodney,

    Konqueror seems to work with most of the netscape 4.x plugins.
 Here's how one might enable the Flash player plugin for Konqueror.
 First, install NS 4.x with the Flash plugin. Then fire up Konqueror,
and click Settings - Configure Konqueror to tell it where the plugins
are - probably in the /netscape/plugins directory.
Note- you probably don't actually _have_ to install Netscape- you could
just download the Flash plugin from Macromedia's site.
Second note- many sites use stupid Javascript "Flash detectors" to see
if you have Flash capability and will serve you a non-Flash version
since Konqueror doesn't respond correctly.  As an example, if I load the
Macromedia site with Konqueror and the Flash plugin, it gives me the
non-Flash version, but if I hit the link to the Flash-enabled page, all
of the Flash stuff is displayed correctly.

Flash authors should use the technique of loading a tiny Flash movie
that will load the main Flash movie on a page with a very short
auto-refresh to a non-Flash page.  That way, visitors with a Flash
plugin will get the movie, regardless of what some flaky javascript
program says, and all else will receive regular HTML.

-Jeff