Dual booting with XP

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Jul 5 15:02:59 PDT 2001

I haven't tried NT/2000 booting off a second hard drive via LILO, but Linux
should have no problem doing so.  Windows 9x can boot off a second hard
drive when booted by LILO with several minor problems.

In order to avoid problems, try this setup.  Use Linux to create the
partitions first, then install Windows, then install Linux and configure
LILO for the boot menu.
Hard Drive 1:
Primary #1: 16MB Linux ext2 to be mounted as /boot later when you install
Linux
Primary #2: NTFS

Hard Drive 2:
Primary #1: Linux ext2 or reiserfs for /
Primary #2: Linux swap twice the size of physical RAM.
http://kt.zork.net/kernel-traffic/kt20010330_113.html#6

I try to avoid logical partitions whenever possible because of their
annoying tendency to shift when deleting and adding.  Keeping LILO and the
kernels at the very beginning of the first disk avoids some BIOS limitations
that makes it impossible to load kernels (or Win9x) above cylinder 1024
(roughly 8GB) on many older computers.