Quick network fix -- looking for help to get two linux boxes to talk to each other.

Ben Beeson beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Jul 3 17:07:51 PDT 2001

To all,

	Thanks for the help.  I am going to migrate to a final solution in two
phases.  My end goal is a switching-router-firewall or router-firewall + hub
that will connect to a cable modem.  I would like to share the cable modem
connection between 4 computers: 2 linux boxes, 1 windows box and 1 iMac. The
cheap solution is probably one router and a hub, but I am wondering if a router
with more NICs might not be a cleaner solution in the long run. Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.  (I have an old Pentium 90 in the garage that
will probably become that router when I get the rest of the hardware/software I
need.)

	Currently, my VALinux box is connected to the cable modem and it works
great. Right now, what I am interested in doing is connecting my Sparc20
(running RHLinux 6.2 Sparc) to my VALinux box (running RH Linux 6.2.3) via a
"rolled" ethernet cable. I want the Sparc box to be just an X terminal that
can run apps from the server, which will be my VALinux box.  For starters this
means forwarding X sessions to the Sparc20.  I am not sure if it also means I
need to run NIS or whatever.  I may be able to work around that with secure
shell or other tools on the internal side without having to host NIS or Samba on
the firewall machine.  My VALinux box has 2 NICs, and all the rest of the boxes
have 1 NIC. The VALinux box is currently pulling double duty as a firewall.

	In the near future, I will build a router and then run everything
through that box to the internet, that's the last phase.  So if anyone can
help me get the Sparc 20 talking to the VALinux box for now and offer advice
on whether I should put a lot of NICS in a router or just get a hub, I'd
appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Ben