the editor battle continues...

bfarnell at gte.net bfarnell at gte.net
Sun Jan 28 05:06:45 PST 2001

I bought it, the USR 56K Performance Pro Modem.  Supposedly PCI modems
are difficult under Linux, even if they are 'real modems'.  It was a
little tricky, I found three different methods on the net for this
modem, none seemed to work, but I synthed one out of the three and it
has worked wonderfully ever since.  Under windows (I WAS dual booting)
it actually increasd my web browsing speed, even though I was running a
56k modem before.  Presumeably, now that my processor wasn't doing the
'modeming' everything ran faster.  The only problem I have had is that
when I was dual booting I kept losing the modem under Windows (Win98SE)
and having to re-install the software (the directions for which, by the
way, were not meant for the software that came with the modem).  I think
there is innate support for the modem under WinME, but I just wanted to
toss that out.  Perhaps someone with more Win98 experience could have
fixed it, I personally never bothered to learn much about it because I
hated windows from the moment they went from 3.1 to '95.  If I remember,
the main funky thing about it is that it will only work under COM port 5
under Windoze, and it installed itself in COM 1 first, then would
constantly lose the COM5 modem configuration and revert to the COM 1
configuaration that won't work with the modem...something like that...I
eventually just considered that whole thing Windoze's fatal mistake and
wiped it off my hard drive.
Brian