Plan for the New LUAU

Chris Wong wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu
Fri Jan 26 20:05:14 PST 2001

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Warren Togami wrote:

> > > Very organised, but may be a bit too ambitious.  How many people are
> > > members of luau right now anyway?  How many people regularly attend
> > > the meetings?  Are all the members subscribed to this list?
> >
> > More appropiately... and a question that has come up time and time again,
> > "What defines a member?"
>
> I think we need a somewhat loose notion of "member".  Not everyone can
> make meetings because they may be busy or live on a neighbor island.
> I believe that anybody that attends meetings, events or participates
> on the mailing list is a member.
>
> Is this question regarding concerns about things that must be voted upon and
> its relation to the designation of "member"?  Here's my idea regarding that.
>
> 1. All votes occur on the mailling list.  If there is a clear majority (75%
> or higher?)  like in the case of the "NO NAME CHANGE" outcry, then the issue
> is passed.

I think votes should be taken off the list. It generates too much useless
traffic and so much for a secret ballot. Plus, it's still too easy to
stuff the ballot.

So we're back again to the definition of a member.

I'm not saying members should attend meetings, but just subscribing to a
mailing list is asking for vote stuffing.

> > It's ambitious yes, but plans always are. Will it work? I don't know.
> >
> > We tried subcommittees before. Nobody wanted the responsibility or they
> > weren't setup properly. Just be aware of that..
>
> Yes, I know this is very ambitious.  For a start I believe
> InstallFests is a good beginning.  That will address the question that
> people had earlier if how we will take care of both new and old Linux
> users.  My idea regarding these InstallFests is to take sign ups and
> hold a session when there is a full class.  Say 10 people?  The more
> experienced LUAU members would take turns at InstallFests sessions so
> nobody gets too burned out.

The question is.. will anybody sign up? Well, there's only one way to find
out. Maybe a quick rollcall to see who would be interested in a) helping
and b) needing installs.