Plan for the New LUAU

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Jan 26 19:50:34 PST 2001

> > Very organised, but may be a bit too ambitious.  How many people are
> > members of luau right now anyway?  How many people regularly attend
> > the meetings?  Are all the members subscribed to this list?
>
> More appropiately... and a question that has come up time and time again,
> "What defines a member?"

I think we need a somewhat loose notion of "member".  Not everyone can make
meetings because they may be busy or live on a neighbor island.  I believe
that anybody that attends meetings, events or participates on the mailing
list is a member.

Is this question regarding concerns about things that must be voted upon and
its relation to the designation of "member"?  Here's my idea regarding that.

1. All votes occur on the mailling list.  If there is a clear majority (75%
or higher?)  like in the case of the "NO NAME CHANGE" outcry, then the issue
is passed.
2. If there is no clear majority vote on the mailing list, then it will be
voted upon at the next meeting.  If people take the effort to go to a
meeting, then they most definitely deserve a vote.  This vote is a simple
majority.

Then again, this may be a dumb idea.

> It's ambitious yes, but plans always are. Will it work? I don't know.
>
> We tried subcommittees before. Nobody wanted the responsibility or they
> weren't setup properly. Just be aware of that..

Yes, I know this is very ambitious.  For a start I believe InstallFests is a
good beginning.  That will address the question that people had earlier if
how we will take care of both new and old Linux users.  My idea regarding
these InstallFests is to take sign ups and hold a session when there is a
full class.  Say 10 people?  The more experienced LUAU members would take
turns at InstallFests sessions so nobody gets too burned out.

If this works out, I would then try to expand to Community Workshops and
proactive Advocacy as LUAU projects.  The workshops are things that I do
anyway, and Ronald's LBN group already does Advocacy, so I don't think this
is too much a stretch.

> Warren if are planning a new organization structure or in general new
> ideas, you may be advised to talk to the previous admins. Just a
> suggestion. They may have some ideas or have tried some ideas.

I am just throwing out ideas for now.  I invite everyone to please add their
thoughts to this, as this is your group.  I find it strange that only two
people replied.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com