LUAU

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Jan 22 01:26:37 PST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Anderson" <andersons001 at hawaii.rr.com>
> Greetings,
> I have endured all of the past strife in LUAU over the last 2 1/2 years,
> and remained on the mailing list. The mailing list is the only
> connection that many of us will have with LUAU. This is simply due to a

As for the mailing list, I personally feel that a mailing list can be a
community too, and not everybody has the time or ability to make meetings.
I'm glad to have people here who share a common interest, even if it is just
a mailing list.  Hopefully with some set organization, goals and dedicated
people, we can turn this around and start having active meetings, community
events and whatever else people want.  (Well, that's what I'd like to see.)

> Oh yeah, a question. Has anyone compiled a 2.4 kernel on RedHat 7.0? I
> am thinking of going to the 2.4 series to use the new replacement for
> Ipchains. Just curious as to if there any known problems before I get
> started.

Yes.  The 2.4 kernel is great, though you probably wont notice much
difference from the 2.2 kernel unless it supports a new piece of hardware,
you need the Netfilter features with iptables, or you have 8 CPU's =).  Make
sure that you compile the kernel with kgcc (edit the Makefile).  Though 2.4
kernels sometimes work fine with the broken Redhat 7.0 gcc, you'll have less
problems with kgcc.  (2.2 kernels NEVER work with gcc).

Warren Togami
warren at togamic.om