Sun Netra X servers?

Jeffrey Wong jmwong at math.ed.hawaii.edu
Sun Jan 21 22:13:04 PST 2001

On Sun, 21 Jan 2001, Warren Togami wrote:

All in all, I think the Netra X1 is a good idea and am playing with the
idea of buying one to play with at home.  As for the RJ45 - DB9 connector,
one is packaged with it.  Restoring the software from CD may be a
problem.  The X1 uses IDE channels (a first for sun I think) so an off the
shelf cdrom drive should work.  You'll probably need to have the case open
for this since there isn't any drive bays for it.  On the traditional Sun
scsi systems, you could restart the machine to a ROM based boot mode and
point it to a kernel on any addressable device.  I would assume that they
would keep the same model and make it work with the IDE bus, so booting
off the cdrom should work.

Jeff Wong
(This is off the top of my head, so I might be wrong)