Help Again with LinkSys LNE100TX

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Feb 14 18:29:07 PST 2001

Ok, back now.

I highly suggest that you compile and upgrade your entire kernel rather than
just the Linksys driver kernel module.  I remember reading the kernel
mailing list around the time Redhat 7.0 was released, and people were having
problems getting some Linksys card to work with Redhat's kernel-2.2.16-22.

The Linksys card uses the so called "tulip" compatible chip.  Many network
cards are tulip compatible.  The problem is that every card is different and
an old tulip module may not work.  I myself bought a CNet 10/100 Ethernet
card over a year ago.  Back then Redhat 6.2 was the distro, but its Linux
kernel 2.2.12 tulip module didn't support my network card.  I had to upgrade
my kernel and the newer tulip module supported my card.  Now Redhat 7.0's
newer kernel supports my CNet network card just fine.  After Redhat 7.0 and
its 2.2.16-22 kernel was released, the Linux kernel developers fixed tulip.c
to handle the new revision of the Linksys card.

Back when I had tulip problems with my CNet card and Redhat 6.2's 2.2.12
kernel didn't support my network card, I checked the card's manufacturer
site.  They had a tulip.c available for download, along with instructions to
build an independent kernel module.  This required a working kernel source
tree in /usr/src/linux of a version equal to the kernel that is currently
running.  If you don't have that installed, look for kernel-source-*.rpm on
your Redhat CD.  Install it with

rpm -ivh kernel-source-*

You must also make sure "kernel-headers" is installed

rpm -ivh kernel-headers-*

Now make sure kgcc is installed.  The normal gcc in Redhat 7.0 is broken and
will break your kernel compiles.  Type "rpm -q kgcc"  If it is not
installed, use rpm -ivh again on the kgcc RPM to install it.

Then follow the directions that Linksys provides to compile their tulip.c,
BUT use kgcc instead of gcc at the beginning of the command line.

Copy the resulting tulip.o into /lib/modules/2.2.16-12/net

Then "insmod tulip" should make it work, if your network configuration
settings are correct.  Make sure you set your gateway, DNS, IP address and
everything in Linuxconf.  Are you on Roadrunner or DSL?

When you are on the Internet, download
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.1.tar.bz2

I suggest saving that to your /root directory, and unpacking it there with
the following command
bzip2 -dc linux-2.4.1.tar.bz2 |tar xv

Traditionally people would unpack kernels into /usr/src/linux, but for one
reason or another the kernel developers are discouraging that location.  It
doesn't matter where you unpack it.  Just make sure you don't unpack one
version of the kernel on top of another.  If it doubt, delete the entire
tree then unpack again.

Now comes the fun part!  You must configure all kernel options to your
machine.  You will need to know everything about your hardware.  Each kernel
option has a help option with a little blurb of information. Please read
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html for more information.  More
useful information here http://linux.com/live/newsitem.phtml?sid=1&aid=11762

I suggest compiling in (say Yes) to options that you want.  Make modules of
your tulip network card.  Modules for your sound card will make
configuration easier.

Choosing correct options is hard your first couple tries.  It may take a few
tries to get a working kernel, and sometimes leaving out options (like
sysctrl) will make the kernel work fine, but the Redhat boot will complain
about certain things.  A few reboots and retries may be required.

BUT BEFORE YOU COMPILE, you gotta edit the Makefile and change your compiler
from gcc to kgcc.  Search for gcc in the Makefile in the root of the kernel
tree, and change "gcc" to "kgcc" in two locations.  You'll find it.
Then
make clean
make dep
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install

(if you're compiling 2.4.1)
copy System.map to /boot/System.map-2.4.1
copy /arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.1

Edit /etc/lilo.conf and add this to the bottom
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.1
         label=linux-2.4.1
         read-only
         root=/dev/whatever

Save lilo.conf and run lilo.  Reboot.

If your new kernel doesn't work, then some kernel option is misconfigured or
missing.  Boot in the old kernel and try again.

If you need help, especially with kernel configuration, call me at 988-6297
during the evening and ask for Warren Jr.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com