Router help request

Brian Chee chee at hawaii.edu
Fri Dec 28 10:18:33 PST 2001

uhmmm....it's only overkill if he doesn't need to use real
subnets.....otherwise masquerade and iptables/ipchains is the solution.....

What I was trying to get at, is that MANY folks have a mix of unix+netware
and/or NT and would like to utilize multiple subnets on an isolated
corporate intranet.  (ie. law firms are notorious for this) So the solution
I suggested of using static routes is cheaper and faster (cpu wise) than
masquerading and easier to implement than zebra or some other type of soft
router.  (yes I know all he wanted was masquerade, but since routing on unix
isn't well know, it's worth just a little soap box time)

Adding a static off linux/unix box is dramatically easier to maintain than
those under NT and doesn't kill the box like NT tends to do.  So if the
organization really does wanna use "real" subnets say on an isolated
intranet...then routing rather than masquerading gets alot more bang for the
buck.... (http://master-www.linuxrouter.org:8080/) is the Linux Router
project....this will allow you to turn an old 486 into a router even if it
doesn't have a hard disk....the basic image fits onto a 1.44mb floppy.

Not to mention, you get some very nice traffic isolation without too much
cpu overhead....and if you ever find yourself needing multicast, you can add
a soft router to the existing box and implement something easy like dvmrp or
PIM-DM.

Speaking of which....how much desire is there on this list for a class on
multicast routing protocols? I've got one that talks about intranet (DVMRP,
PIM-DM, PIM-SM, PIM-SM/SSM) and internet (MSDP, MBGP, PIM-SM/SSM)  multicast
routing protocols and takes about 1.5 hour to deliver. It's a recycle from
what I delivered at Networld+Interop last year.

If there is desire, I can deliver it via the UH ICS Club and make it free to
anyone that wants to show up for it.

/brian chee

University of Hawaii ICS Dept
Advanced Network Computing Lab