Router help request

R. Scott Belford scott at belford.net
Thu Dec 27 21:25:06 PST 2001

    I really struggled with this.  I'll confess that it was a gui that
finally did it for me.  I looked and looked for a simple command line
explanation of what to do to enable routing, and I am sure that it wasn't
that hard, but I failed to to do it this way.
    On my redhat box I sometimes use ximian's gnome desktop.  I think it is
a free download still, but there was something about a subscription I read
about the other day.  Ximian has a control panel tool that enables sharing
of my wan and masquerading of my lan.  I think mandrake has a tool to do
this.  I use it to turn on routing, set the gateway of my lan machines,
including an apple airport, to the ip of my linux box lan nic.  I give my
lan machines the same subnet as my linuxbox lan nic, etc. etc., you know the
rest.  It works like a champ.  I firewall my wan nic with lokkit, and I
block those pesky ip's that snort catches with a webmin module that adds
ipchain rules.  I need to use iptables, I understand, but so far so good.

scott