Kicking users?

gsublett at lava.net gsublett at lava.net
Mon Dec 24 21:52:32 PST 2001

On 25-Dec-01 Jeff Mings wrote:
> Thanks, Scott and Gary.
>
> I actually knew about idled - found it on Freshmeat.net.  Using skill
> with the -u switch will probably work best, as I want to  remove users
> who have not only forgotten, but lost their connections and are still
> logged on by the host.  Kicking them off on demand rather than by time
> lapse will work best.
>
> Thanks,
> -Jeff
>

> gsublett at lava.net wrote:
>
>>On 24-Dec-01 Jeff Mings wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>    Is there a better way to kick users (who forget to disconnect)
>>>    than
>>>by killing their associated processes? E.g.,  if user test is logged
>>>on,
>>>and  ps --User test shows
>>>12345 tty3 bash     I can simply  use kill -9 12345 to remove the
>>>forgetful user.  Is there a better command for killing off users?
>>>

>>http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/system/admin/idle/!INDEX.html
>>http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/system/admin/idle/!INDEX.short.html

Jeff,

The referenced url lists:

index of /public/ftp/pub/Linux/system/admin/idle

./                      Parent directory
!INDEX.html              Long index format
Slay.1.2.tar.gz          kills all of a user's processes
autolog-0.40.tar.gz      auto logout of idle users w/config file
clobberd-4.16.tgz        User/Resource Monitor. Used to keep tabs on users
clobberd-4.17.tar.bz2    User/Resource Monitor. Used to keep tabs on users
clobberd-extra-4x-1.tgz  companion/3rd party programs for clobberd 4.16
idle_watch.tar.gz        reads the utmp entrys and checks for idle users
idled-1.02c.tar.gz       kicks off idle users
idled-1.12.tar.gz        kills idle login shells - fairly configurable
idlekiller.gz            kills idle processes, not users
idleout-mcm.tar.gz       Automatically logs out idle users
kidled-0.4.tar.gz        kick idle users off the system
skulker-1.7.tgz          Files not accessed within a given time and
                                matching given criteria are removed
tmpreaper-1.4.13.tar.gz  Cleans up files in directories based on their
                                age.

Iguess I don't understand the problem, I am at a loss to understand what
needs to be done that can't be done with one of the above.