luau digest: December 12, 2001

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sat Dec 15 04:24:35 PST 2001

On Fri, 2001-12-14 at 19:58, Dan George wrote:
> I was just wondering what everyone does here for a living. Do you all
> actually use Linux in a working environment or is it just a hobby?

*Reminder to everyone*
When you reply, please erase most of the message and limit the quoted
portion to just enough information so that readers know from what
context you are replying to.

Hi Dan,

I personally use Linux for all server tasks at for hobby, school and
work projects ranging in tasks from web servers, databases (MySQL and
PostgreSQL), e-mail servers, proxy caching, caching DNS, Samba windows
networking, network printer, and thin client server.  I could possibly
use Windows server in many of these tasks (I even own a license of
Windows 2000 Advanced Server), but I rather not waste my time with the
hundreds of security problems popping up every year.

I also use Linux as my main home desktop now.  It is a very strong
software development platform.  I am currently using that aspect of
Linux, GNU compilers and the KDevelop IDE to do my computer science
programming projects.  In the future I hope to work on qt/KDE code, and
perhaps work on Ximian Mono, a free implementation of Microsoft .NET
written in C#.

My other Linux desktop stuff is just about everything you expect in a
desktop.  Four web browsers, many different e-mail clients, scheduling,
MP3 and movie media players (everything but WMV movies), CD ripping,
full featured office applications, PDF tools, printing tools, instant
messaging clients.  I bought CodeWeaver's Crossover plugin allowing me
to use many Windows browser plugins like Shockwave and Quicktime.  I
also bought Transgaming WineX, allowing me to play many DirectX Windows
games while voting on the project to influence the development WineX.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com