Informal Linux Meetings

Ben Beeson beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Dec 9 13:07:13 PST 2001

Dusty,
My job and my life keep me plenty busy, but windward is
definitely much easier for me than leeward. I'm interested.
Ben
On 12/8/01, 2:39:25 PM, Dusty <dusty at sandust.com> wrote regarding [luau]
Re: Informal Linux Meetings:

> Sounds COOL!!!! But Sandi and I won't be able to make it most of the
time. That area is just to hard to get to for us (damn traffic). I say
go for it!!!!
> Dusty
> P.S. - If anyone wants to have informal meetings on the Windward side let
me know.

> > Howdy Troops,
> >
> > I have looked around tthe immediate area (University Ave, Mo`ili`ili) for
places to have informal Linux get-togethers. There are a couple that
stand
out, the Coffee Cove Internet Cafe and an ice cream shop near Varsity
Theaters.

> > There have been several people who have been interested in having
informal discussion meetings (ie, Geek-Outs). I personally know that
these
are very productive. The late/great Berkeley Unix Users Group (BUUG) was
essentially a gathering of Unix geeks at a coffee shop. We would chat
about
Unix and programming and ogle each other`s laptops.

> > Just talking to other people (some of whom were waaaay more 37337 than
yours truly) about technology taught me more than I would have learned by
staying at home reading, or attending a formal tutorial.

> > Here are some ideas:
> >
> > Every other Tuesday at 7PM
> >
> > Meet at the Coffee Cove (The cafe has great sandwich deals for >$6.00,
and they make a mean latte) - If the Cove is full we can meet at the ice
cream parlour or the other Internet Cafe across the street (which has a
Freenix box).

> > Every week one of us should bring a print-out of something cool they
found on the Internet.

> > Have informal conversations until someone falls asleep or they kick us
out.

> > Adopting the moniker of G.L.U.G. (The GNU/Linux Unix Gathering [or
Guinness Loving Unix Geeks - in case the ice cream parlour is full, we go
the bar])