Informal Linux Meetings

Julio Gutierrez gutierrej001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Dec 8 10:46:33 PST 2001

count me in!!
Julio
----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Farnell" <bfarnell at gte.net>
To: "Linux & Unix Advocates & Users" <luau at maile.hi.net>
Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2001 12:32 AM
Subject: [luau] Re: Informal Linux Meetings

> I'd be there.
> Regards,
> Brian
>
> On (07/12/01 19:06), epsas at inflicted.net wrote:
> >
> > Howdy Troops,
> >
> > I have looked around tthe immediate area (University Ave, Mo`ili`ili)
for places to have informal Linux get-togethers.  There are a couple that
stand out, the Coffee Cove Internet Cafe and an ice cream shop near Varsity
Theaters.

> > There have been several people who have been interested in having
informal discussion meetings (ie, Geek-Outs).  I personally know that these
are very productive.  The late/great Berkeley Unix Users Group (BUUG) was
essentially a gathering of Unix geeks at a coffee shop.  We would chat about
Unix and programming and ogle each other`s laptops.

> > Just talking to other people (some of whom were waaaay more 37337 than
yours truly) about technology taught me more than I would have learned by
staying at home reading, or attending a formal tutorial.

> > Here are some ideas:
> >
> > Every other Tuesday at 7PM
> >
> > Meet at the Coffee Cove (The cafe has great sandwich deals for >$6.00,
and they make a mean latte) - If the Cove is full we can meet at the ice
cream parlour or the other Internet Cafe across the street (which has a
Freenix box).

> > Every week one of us should bring a print-out of something cool they
found on the Internet.

> > Have informal conversations until someone falls asleep or they kick us
out.

> > Adopting the moniker of G.L.U.G. (The GNU/Linux Unix Gathering [or
Guinness Loving Unix Geeks - in case the ice cream parlour is full, we go to
the bar])