Informal Linux Meetings

epsas at inflicted.net epsas at inflicted.net
Fri Dec 7 21:06:24 PST 2001

Howdy Troops,

I have looked around tthe immediate area (University Ave, Mo`ili`ili) for places to have informal Linux get-togethers.  There are a couple that stand out, the Coffee Cove Internet Cafe and an ice cream shop near Varsity Theaters.

There have been several people who have been interested in having informal discussion meetings (ie, Geek-Outs).  I personally know that these are very productive.  The late/great Berkeley Unix Users Group (BUUG) was essentially a gathering of Unix geeks at a coffee shop.  We would chat about Unix and programming and ogle each other`s laptops.

Just talking to other people (some of whom were waaaay more 37337 than yours truly) about technology taught me more than I would have learned by staying at home reading, or attending a formal tutorial.

Here are some ideas:

Every other Tuesday at 7PM

Meet at the Coffee Cove (The cafe has great sandwich deals for >$6.00, and they make a mean latte) - If the Cove is full we can meet at the ice cream parlour or the other Internet Cafe across the street (which has a Freenix box).

Every week one of us should bring a print-out of something cool they found on the Internet.

Have informal conversations until someone falls asleep or they kick us out.

Adopting the moniker of G.L.U.G. (The GNU/Linux Unix Gathering [or Guinness Loving Unix Geeks - in case the ice cream parlour is full, we go to the bar])

What are your thoughts?

peas,
Charles Paul