BrowserWatch: Opera 6.0 TP Beta 2 Released

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Dec 7 03:15:24 PST 2001

On Fri, 2001-12-07 at 00:06, R. Scott Belford wrote:
> Couldn't agree more.  I have seen no browser as fast as Opera on my windoze,
> mac, or linux boxes.  Less stable on the mac, but elsewhere great.  I have
> better, more stable success with it than Mozilla.  Never really paid much
> attention to the font weaknesses.  Guess I didn't notice.
>
> scott

I just upgraded my Opera from TP beta 1 to beta 2.  The fonts are
improved considerably since the first beta.  In fact, for some strange
reason, they seem to now appear IDENTICAL to my Konqueror fonts.  It
must be the dynamically linked QT version that I'm using, using KDE
native settings.

Now ALL web pages I visit with both Opera and Konqueror are readable,
unlike the font problems that continue to plague Netscape 4.x and
Mozilla to this day.

Unfortunately, Japanese input seems to be completely inoperative in
Opera.  On the bright side I figured out how to get Japanese input
working in Konqueror 100%.

Konqueror, Mozilla and Netscape crash with Flash in thin client setups.
Otherwise Opera works 100% with everything except for Japanese.  I need
a way of supressing "plugin missing" dialogues in Konqueror order remove
Flash and still allow people to use Konqueror.  Any ideas?