Linux is for Desktops?!

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Mon Aug 27 01:23:39 PDT 2001

Thanks for the Roswell disks from Warren, I finally had a first hand
experience to take a look at KDE 2.2.  This is really an awesome development!

APM (advanced power management) now works beautifully.  Unlike RedHat 7.1, I
I am having problems configuring my Brother USB printer.  This may be due to
a bug in the beta, and I am anxious for the official release of RH7.2 (or
RH8.0?)

Due to their infinite configurability, the Konqueror/KMail/KNode combo works
better than IE5.5.  While I am not able to view CJK webpages and e-mails with
the KDE internet package, Mozilla 0.93 does a very good job in this regard.
Mozilla works much better in Linux 2.4 than in Windows, but Konqi is
definitely faster, and is preferred unless I need to view CJK pages.

Is Linux finally ready for desktops? I will continue my thoughts later.