Router + firewall + NIDS questions

beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Aug 25 22:17:04 PDT 2001

Aloha all,
	I would like some advice on how to do something.  I would like to build
a router + firewall + NIDS from scratch to use for my home LAN.  I was
thinking of building a box to act as a router and firewall for 1 Sparc, 1
VALinux box, one Mac, and one Windoze box.  I envision a Linux box for
this that should boot headless.  I also want this router + firewall box
to share one internet connection with all the others.  BTW, the Mac and
Windoze boxes will need a wireless connection (wireless 802.11???).   I
was also thinking of running Snort on the internal side of the router +
firewall to monitor what gets past the firewall.  Because of all this, I
don't think that the linux router project will work, but the idea is
mostly the same.
	What I would like to know is what does the community of experts think
is:
		--  a fast enough CPU for such a task,
		--  how much hard drive should I buy,
		--  and should I run a hub behind the firewall, or should I just throw
in some extra NICs?
	Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Ben