.bin = binary files?

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Aug 23 21:37:46 PDT 2001

I know this has already been answered hours ago, but here is a little more
information about what actually is happening here.

I assume your .bin file is a software distribution download, like IBM Java
SDK, JRE or Sun StarOffice?  These are binary programs that you must run, by
activating the execute bit with chmod.  700 would be fine if you own the
file, or 755 if you want all users to be able to run it.  Companies
distribute software in this fashion in order to display a EULA before it
extracts the .tar.gz or .rpm package for you to install.