ALOHA Linux Meeting - Planning for ITEC Exhibition

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Aug 17 04:22:50 PDT 2001

ALOHA LINUX MEETING - PLANNING FOR ITEC
Anyone is welcome to attend.

Wednesday, August 22 at 7-9pm
Applied Computer Training and Technology, Inc.
98-030 Hekaha St. Suite 29
Aiea, HI 96701

http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?BFCat=&Pyt=Tmap&newFL=Use+Address+Below&addr=98-030+Hekaha+St.+&csz=Aiea%2C+Hawaii&country=us&Get%A0Map=Get+Map

Meeting Agenda:
1. Plan for ITEC booth and presentations.  We need demonstrations, presentations, hardware, money, handouts and volunteer commitments.
2. Instructive demo of the Mindterm SSH client, and VNC client/server.

PLANNING FOR ITEC
Wednesday (8/22) will be a very important meeting for the Hawaii Open Source Community for the purpose of planning and for our booth at ITEC at the Hawaii Convention Center September 19 - 20th.  We hope that our booth at ITEC will showcase many different Linux, Unix, and Open Source technologies (enterprise grade server services, firewall/routers, graphics/multimedia demos, workstations, terminal servers & thin clients).  We need to get commitments of time to man the booth, hardware and technical expertise to setup booth demonstrations, handouts and Linux CD's, and money to pay for booth expenses.

This will be the BIGGEST Linux event opportunity in this state to date, our chance to get our foot in the door and introduce the benefits of Linux and Open Source Software to the thousands in local industry and government who will be visiting the exhibitions and attending the presentations at ITEC.  Bill Reeder from IBM will be giving a speech on "Open Source is Emerging".  IBM and Microsoft are sending their big guns to discuss "Open Source vs Shared Source" in a panel discussion.  These are the big issues that will change the face of IT globally, right here in town!  We must rally all local Linux people to show our support, to show local industry and government that we do exist, and we are serious.

Please contact either Deven or me if you would like free tickets for admission at ITEC as part of the Hawaii Open Source community, MPLUG or ALOHA groups, and please attend this meeting to take part of the planning necessary for our booth presence next month at the event.

MINDTERM SSH client and VNC client/server usage
* Java Mindterm SSH client
* Basic TCP/UDP encrypted tunnels
* SSH command line usage
* VNC client/server on Windows and Linux

Telnet, FTP and other plain text protocols are insecure, but everyone continues to use them because they don't know any other way.
I will be showing how easy SSH can be with the Java Mindterm SSH client, for easy SSH and file transfers from Windows and Macintosh machines.  I will also demonstrate basic command line SSH, SCP and SFTP between two *nix machines.

VNC is a powerful, open source tool that does remote desktops, similar to PC Anywhere or Timbuktu.  VNC servers and clients are available for Windows, MacOS, Linux and many brands of Unix.  I will demonstrate usage of VNC servers and clients on both Windows and Linux.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com
Mid-Pacific Linux User's Group
http://www.mplug.org
University of Hawaii ICS Club
http://www2.ics.hawaii.edu/~icsclub
ALOHA - Advocates of Linux and Open-source, Hawaii Assoc.
http://www.linuxhi.org