Security: Intrusion Detection Systems Compared

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Aug 17 02:11:14 PDT 2001

Commercial intrusion detection systems compared to Snort, the open source
IDS.

http://www.networkcomputing.com/1217/1217f2.html

"To get a handle on the state of the IDS market, we decided to go back to
school. Literally. We made the trip from our Neohapsis labs over to DePaul
University in Chicago. There we set up the IDSnet and put 10 IDS products to
the test - Computer Associate International's eTrust, Cisco Systems' Secure
IDS, CyberSafe Corp.'s Centrax, Enterasys Networks' Dragon, Internet
Security Systems' BlackICE (Network ICE was acquired by Internet Security
Systems in April), ISS' RealSecure, Intrusion.com's SecureNet Pro, NFR
Security's NFR Network Intrusion Detection System (we also looked at Anzen
Computing's Flight Jacket, which was acquired by NFR in June), the
open-source Snort and Symantec Corp.'s NetProwler (formerly Axent
Technologies Inc.'s NetProwler; Symantec was acquired by Axent in
December)."