Linux Thin Clients - "Office-Worker Linux: It's Here and It Works"

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Aug 14 04:51:43 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "W. Wayne Liauh" <LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com>
To: "Linux & Unix Advocates & Users" <luau at list.luau.hi.net>
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2001 10:24 PM
Subject: [luau] Re: Linux Thin Clients - "Office-Worker Linux: It's Here and
It Works"

> I recently installed RH 7.1 with KDE, and was very impressed as to how
> things have changed from a year ago.  Before I try to find answers
> myself, there are a couple of questions:

RH 7.1 is very nice, but you'll be amazed by the improvements coming in 7.2.
I'm using the beta at the moment, and it is very very cool.  The user
interface improvements are many, many server software improvements,
security... and it will be the first Red Hat distribution to support a
journaling filesystem.  Using ext3 instead of ext2, you will be able to pull
the plug on your server, turn it back on and be back up and running in less
than a minute, without a lengthy filesystem integrity check.

> (1)  I don't seem to find a quick and easy way to do power management
> from KDE.  An "xset +dpms" command from the xterm does not do the
> trick.  Am I missing something?

Sorry I don't know anything about power management.  I'll ask this on the
Red Hat mailing list.

> (2) One of the advantages of X 4.0.2 and latter is the anti-alias
> fonts.  Is there any script to turn this on?

It exists, but it doesn't work so great with the software included in Red
Hat 7.1.  For best results, you should probably upgrade to KDE 2.2 and
Microsoft's True Type fonts.  Within a few days Red Hat will release easy to
install RPM packages to upgrade to KDE 2.2, so wait for that.  You can
easily install Microsoft's True Type fonts using this package.
http://freshmeat.net/projects/webfonts4linux/
Simply use "chkfontpath -a <path>" after you run that script, restart X and
your fonts will be dramatically nicer.

> (3) Is there any way to defaut into KDE?
>
> I have some other issues but they are mainly involving the WordPerfect
> suite.  Basically I am awaiting a stablized version of WINE, and will
> discuss this issue later.

There's probably some GUI tool to set it, but I never bothered looking.
Quicker editing a simple text file anyhow than navigating menus that you'll
never have to navigate again.

Simply edit:
/etc/sysconfig/desktop
And change the contents to