redhat 7.1

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Apr 26 21:31:49 PDT 2001

Redhat decided to disable telnet and FTP by default because they are insecure protocols.  IMHO, this was a SMART move.  I highly suggest everyone NEVER to use either protocol, with the exception of anonymous FTP to download files from file archives.  Redhat finally made this good decision, probably after they were burned by the Ramen worm cracking their wuftpd in Redhat 6.x.

Redhat 7.1 contains OpenSSH v2.5.2x which has several valid alternatives to FTP for all your file transfer needs.  SSH v1 protocol supports 'scp'.  Other Linux machines can easily use the client to transfer files.  Windows can use the same OpenSSH tools if you install Cygwin http://www.cygwin.com

Though I'm guessing that you rather have friendly GUI tools in Windows for doing file transfers.  Here are several free options.

WinSCP - Similar interface to WS_FTP or CuteFTP
http://winscp.vse.cz/eng/

Mindterm - Java SSH client with built in SCP and SFTP, a more friendly file transfer protocol introduced in SSH v2.  Because Mindterm is written in Java, it runs fine on many Windows, MacOS, Linux, and Solaris JVM's.  The latest version of Mindterm has the following options for file transfers.

1) SCP - Works fine, but somewhat inconvenient because you must type in the complete file name in the remote side.
2) SFTP (text mode) - SFTP client, with roughly the same commands as any text mode FTP.  Not very convenient either.
3) FTP to SFTP bridge - Now this is awesome.  Simply connect to the remote machine via SSH, then activate the FTP to SFTP bridge.  You can then connect to ftp://localhost with your favorite FTP client and transfer files just as you would normally.  The current version of Mindterm has slight bugs in this bridge, but they should be fixed by the next release.
4) FTP to FTP via SSH tunnel.  This is a bit more complex.  You run the normal FTP daemon on the Redhat machine, except use iptables to disallow connections from anywhere except 127.0.0.1 (itself).  You then configure a FTP tunnel in Mindterm and connect to yourself in the same fashion as method 3 with any FTP client.  All traffic is routed through the SSH tunnel in a secure fashion.

*****
PLEASE USE SCP and/or SFTP!!!
But I can't force you.  If you don't care about security, use FTP.
wuftpd requires xinetd to be running.  Make sure it is running with
/etc/init.d/xinetd status
and start with
/etc/init.d/xinetd start

To make the setting permanent within your current runlevel, run "setup" and go into Services or something.  You'll find xinetd.  Also make sure the FTP daemon is activated.

Alternative you can configure settings for all runlevels at once in linuxconf "Control Service Activity".

but again, PLEASE DO NOT USE FTP!!!