Blocking web sites....

Deven Phillips dphillips at viata.com
Thu Apr 19 07:52:42 PDT 2001

Ben,

	There are several methods to attack this problem. Personally, I would
have gone with Squid (proxy server), but the ipchains/iptables/firewall
method can work too. Here's what you do.
	A. when using port/ip filtering (ipchains/iptables) the site cannot be
akamized/footprinted
	B. The rule should state something like this
		iptables -A forward -p tcp -s <mynet>/<mynetmask> -d <badsite.com>
--destination-port 80 -j DROP
		ipchains -A forward -p tcp -s <mynet>/<mynetmask> -d <badsite.com> 80
-j DROP

	If you do decide to use squid, there are excellent filters available
from freshmeat.net. Also, if you use the 2.4.x kernels on your
firewall/NAT/router you can set up squid to be a transparent proxy that
no one on your network can get around.

Deven Phillips, CISSP
Network Architect
Viata Online, Inc.