more dd

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Apr 15 23:45:14 PDT 2001

> I could be wrong, but I believe this would put an image of a CD on your
> HD that could.  then act as a CD in the CD rom drive.  Is that correct?
> Or am I way off base.
Yes.  The image that goes on your hard drive is just an ordinary ISO image,
much like the images that you d/l off the internet to get your linux distro.
What linux allows you to do is pretend like a file on your drive is an actual
drive of it's own.  It fakes it out, using something called the loopback device.
So if the file contains a valid filesystem (which will be true if the file is a
disk image of some sort, [iso, floppy, or hard drive]), then you can actually
mount the file like you can mount any real drive (Review andersons instructions
for more details)

--Ray