Floppy Copy?

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Apr 15 16:04:20 PDT 2001

> dd if=SuSEbootdisk.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k
> I'm also assuming that the second part of the command
> (of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k) is specifing that is is a 1440 KB diskette.  But
> with the "dd" command how or where do you do the diskette switch?
> By the way the diskette copies I made with the "cp" command came out
> perfectly.
dd is useful if you only wanna copy part of the disk.  For instance if you
just want to get the boot record.  dd lets you specify how much of the disk
to copy, whereas with cp it copies it until it gets to the end.  in the
above example 'if' is the input file (~/SuSEbootdisk.img), of is the output
file (/dev/fd0, the floppy drive) and bs is how much to copy (1440k, or in
other words all of it)

--Ray