(not quite linux) PHP3 or not to PHP3?

V.Yanagida victory at flex.com
Fri Apr 13 19:15:31 PDT 2001

>From: "Erich S." <sharky at websharx.com>

> My question: Will most stuff out there work with PHP4 even though
> originally written for PHP3? Is there any reason to install both?

Hey E.

Here's what a PHP4 book I have notes about the PHP3 -> PHP4 diffs:

- New foreach statement similar to Perl's.
- boolean var. type
- name form elements in array style - now works with multidim. arrays
- Extended support for OOP
- Provides native support for user sessions either via cookies and query
string.
- === operator compares type as well as value
- More info about server and env. vars available to PHP4
- Built-in suport for Java and XML.
- Because of new Zend script engine, some things may run *much* faster
under PHP4.

Of course,that's just what my book sez.

-V