How to shut down server

Mike Ballon calzonie at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Oct 19 01:07:59 PDT 2000

> Hello, everyone. I am a newbie in the Linux world, but I am interested in
> knowing more. I set up Apache server on my laptop that came with RH6.2,
> later i found out that the PHP module that comes with apache does not
> support MySQL database. So I grabbed php 4 tarball and mysql from the net.
> The manual says I must shut down apache server in order to rebuild php
> module with mysql support. Could anyone please tell me how to shut down
the
> server? Thank you.

/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd stop

> One of my friend is experiencing some other problem. He has a ne2000
> compatible network card without driver. When he inserted the card, there
is
> a high tone beep followed by a low tone beep and system reports "unable to
> determine hardware net address." Later he tried to hardwrite the address
> with "hwaddr=0x...", and there came two high tone beeps. We thought the
set
> up was successful, but when we use "ifup eth0" command to check, the
status
> was always "Determining IP address..." and "ping ..." command does not
> return anything (he was conneted to the net). Is there something wrong
with
> the network configuration or something wrong with the hardware
> configuration? Pls explain in as much details as possible, thanks a lot.

Try inserting a command like "dmesg >/startup" into your /etc/rc.d/rc/local
file.  That will allow you to look at what Linux found during the bootup.
You might be able to just type "dmesg |more" at the shell prompt now
depending how how long your box has been up the info might still be there.

If the card is not found during the bootup you'll have to come up in dos and
use the utility that comes with the nic to determine the port/addr.  Or just
go buy another card for $20 and save all the trouble :)